The Bowden Community Hall will fulfill the outstanding need in the community for a space to hold:
- Family Reunions
- Class Reunions
- Family Dances
- Musical and Theatrical productions
- Active Living/Participaction opportunities
- Dance Recitals
- Youth Clubs
- Commercial Kitchen Rentals/Catering
- Rental Space for small businesses and community organizations
- Trade shows
- Farmers Market
How: Expanding Horizons Executive and Board and subcommittees will direct and lead the project from initial construction plans through to maintenance and marketing in the future.
Where: The best location is 3.2 acres with access from Queen Elizabeth Highway 2 and Provincial Highway 587. An offer to purchase the land and initial deposit has been accepted with the closing date in November 2015.
Phase One: September - November 2015
- Acquisition of property
- Capitalization strategy developed for project budget
- Choose best approach to site and facility development concepts
- Initiate preliminary design process
- Proposal submissions prepared for fund development initiatives with identified partners
Phase Two: January - March 2016
- Implementation of capital recommendations for existing infrastructure
- Initiate detailed design
- Fund development through public/private initiatives
- Commitments targeted by stakeholder groups
Phase Three: April - May 2016
- Tendering and award
- Construction phase commences for initial infrastructure
Phase Four: June 2016 - ongoing
- Formalize capitalization program for community hall
- Construction phase commences
- Continued capital plan for existing infrastructure projects
- Continued expansion of program services by organizations delivering community services
Who: Bowden Expanding Horizons will dedicate resources to engage expertise in community development to coordinate and provide leadership and organization development opportunities. This would include such initiatives as the implementation of capital recommendations, organizational development, governance, finance and marketing. Community development creates synergies between organizations with complementary missions to achieve common objectives.
Bowden Expanding Horizons has members from both town and rural communities as well as such diverse groups as the Bowden Agricultural Society, St. Andrews United Church, Summit Women's Group, Bowden Community Action Park, St. Andrews Players Theatre Group, Seniors Friendship Society, Bowden Lions Club, Friends of Grandview School, Bowden Grandview School, County of Red Deer and the Town of Bowden.
Description of Business
Expanding Horizons is a Society with charitable status. Expanding Horizons Executive and Board will provide the leadership and direction, and members and interested parties from the community will form committees to provide the necessary expertise and knowledge to see the Community Hall project through to completion. Expanding Horizons will maintain ownership of the hall on an on-going basis.
Expanding Horizons will own the community hall during construction and on an ongoing basis.
The new Bowden Community Hall will be ideally situated at the north end of town, with access from Queen Elizabeth Highway 2 and Provincial Highway 587.
- High ground site with a gentle slope to the west
- Gravel soil at surface
- Building position and parking options available
- Services already available
To meet the needs of the community stakeholders and provide a truly functional and community based facility for all age groups, the hall needs to be 6,500 sq ft. The facility will be handicap accessible and will provide for a banquet hall area for 350 people, commercial kitchen, meeting rooms, stage for theatre and musical productions, storage for community groups and adequate to-code washroom facilities.
Estimated projections of the cost of the building are $200/sq ft for a total of $1,300,000.
The exterior will be park like, with attention paid to the landscaping details. Grass, trees, flower beds, and other features will provide a picturesque area for photos, picnics, a play area and will enhance and beautify the entire lot. This will also provide a very welcoming entrance to the Town of Bowden.
Bowden Community Hall will be available for rental 365 days of the year.
Bowden Community Hall services to the community will include rental space for meeting room and banquet area, commercial kitchen, landscaped area for formal photos, picnic area, parking spaces and plug-ins for RV storage and temporary parking, etc.
Expanding Horizons has a Management Committee in place to oversee the construction of the facility, and will continue to manage the building until the facility is viable.
The Manager will oversee the leasing arrangements, program development, custodial duties and general facility promotion and marketing. The annual salary of this individual will be negotiated when the building is completed.
Capital Funding Sources
- Grants: Grants are anticipated to form a major source of the funding required for the construction of the hall. Based on the 2012 - 2015 Capital Plan for Alberta Infrastructure a total of $450 million was budgeted for infrastructure project related to community facilities. A search of current potential federal, provinical and municipal grants will be considered. For example the P3 Canada Fund, Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund, Municipal Sustainability Initiative - Capital Funding, Community Facility Enhancement Program, Green Municipal Fund.
- Corporate local business, community organizations and individuals can be a significant source of funding for completing the hall. Fundraising can be undertaken through a number of avenues including auctions, dances, festivals, theatre productions, running and bicycling races, garage sales
- Another potential source of fundraising is naming rights where the titles for rooms can be sold. The name of the facility itself can also be sold.
- In-kind contributions and volunteer hours from community members
Operational Funding Sources
- Partnerships and Joint Ventures with adjoining municipalities and rural districts can be another source of funding.